Becoming Gerald of New South Wales - Week 1

I have often bemoaned the Welsh public for the failing to transition the passion they have for the international game to regional rugby. With the Six Nations on a fallow weekend, Ulster managed to attract a crowd in the region of 15,000 for their Pro 12 fixture against the Scarlets. Conversely the Blues only managed a crowd 1/3 of the size for Leinster's visit to the Arms park. 

I accept that at regional level, attendance and more so a lack of, is a complex issue. There exist a hybrid of political, social and economic factors that dictate why rugby fans in Wales, don't, won't and in some cases can't, flock through the turnstiles. 

Having never really had professional rugby on my door step, it is easy for me to criticise both the fans and the marketing departments for their collective inability to create a magnetic pull around regional rugby. A force that would not only drive attendance but also player retention. Undoubtedly money is a primary motivator for players to cross the bridge or the channel, but I expect if you asked most, the opportunity to play in front of packed houses on days that aren't Boxing Day, would come a close(ish) second.

Now, living in Sydney, with the 2014 Super Rugby champions, the New South Wales Waratahs, on my door step (plus 8 min walk, 15 min train and 5 min bus), I have no excuses. Is it possible for the 'tahs to convert me into Gerald of New South Wales? Time to embark on a journey that will hopefully help me better understand the challenges facing both fans and marketers in the professional game. 

I break from writing for a social media scan, the Waratahs marketing team are getting in my grill (news feed). They need not worry about my brand awareness. As a long time Super Rugby fan, getting across to the Sydney Football Stadium to take in a few games was always on the 'to do list', when the decision was made to move down under. The challenge is whether they can produce an experience that makes me want to return. In Sydney, the competition for social time and finance is both vast and varied. 

So it's Sunday night, and round one of 2016's Super Rugby Comp has come and gone. 24,044 people rocked up to the Allianz Stadium last night to watch the Waratahs get one over in their inter state rivals, The Reds. I was not one of these people. My attempt to become a Tahs fan is not off to a good start. I feel like a hurdler who has given it the beans about winning, but then gone and smashed into the first hurdle. 

I ended up playing in a 10s tournament for my new rugby club, then heading back with a few of the Welsh lads from the team to watch a re run of the Wales v France Six Nations clash, having successfully avoided the result all day. You can't not watch the Wales game (I can't). 

As I alluded to above, there are always likely to be conflicting interests when it comes to committing to watching live rugby. And on this occasion, heading to the game didn't come up trumps. This is what the marketers are up against. Maybe they did need to get in my grill more on social media! The next home game is on April 3rd against the Rebels. The best marketing tool for the Waratahs brand between now and then will be the buzz that can be creating by playing attractive 'footy'. Be there or be square. I don't want to be square and/or a hypocrit.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All Blacks v South Africa

The Murrayfield Lament with a side of George North

Where on earth are you from?